In collaboration with The Maybourne Group, Somerville partnered with the celebrated design teams at Brian O’Sullivan Studios and Michelle Wu, to develop two stunning schemes at the new Maybourne Riviera, on the south coast of France. Somerville gained the opportunity to demonstrate its passion and capabilities for manufacturing the highest quality of furniture for this luxury venue.
Brian O’Sullivan Studio Michelle Wu
With the hotel emerging from the peninsula of Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, these exclusive suites hugged the contours of the corniche, offering a breath-taking panoramic view overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. The rooms were of a non-standard shape, which required individual design development and therefore unique production for each.
The chosen palette incorporated muted, natural tones, offering a sense of tranquillity and calm to the space. Creating the curved furniture was a thought-provoking, yet exciting challenge for the Somerville design team. With much research and trials undertaken, manufacturing drawings were developed from the design concepts through detailed design collaboration with the client team. 5-axis CNC and vacuum press technology was instrumental in the successful delivery of this project.
The BoS suites created by Somerville, covered a full floor of the hotel, situated on level 7. Using Tabu Newood Veneer as the principal material for this project, the Somerville design and production teams met with BoS on site, to discuss their design concepts which allowed for the creation of design development drawing. The style of the furniture embraced natural, soft curves which was also evident in the chosen soft furnishings and décor. Mirrors were purposefully positioned within the joinery to provide glimpses of the sea view.
A selection of luxury furniture was manufactured, in line with the agreed design concepts created by the BoS, team including:
• Corner wardrobes with seamless flowing radiused detailing. Chilewich inlay panels and polishes stainless steel luggage rails and complementary fittings with a mirror backing
• Mini bar shelving units with floating bevelled glass and oak shelving. Stone inlayed counter tops with a reflective mirror backing
• Entry hall joinery with a full-length vanity teardrop mirror and stone inlay curved shelf.
All pieces were set in Newood wall panelling with sliding pocket door sets. Radiused head detailing was incorporated to tie the concept together.
The second collection of suites manufactured for the Maybourne Riviera was under the creative direction and partnership of designer Michelle Wu, incorporating the entire hotel floor of level 5. Each room’s luxury furniture was designed, developed, and manufactured using hand-treated Limed Quarter Cut Oak.
• Wardrobes were produced with Chilewich inlay panels, polished stainless steel luggage rails and complementary fittings.
• Mini bar shelving units with bevelled glass inset shelving set in a floating solid oak surround. Stone inlayed counter tops with a reflective mirror backing.
• Built in cantilevered vanity dressing tables with a mirror & side light detailing above.
• All set in limed quarter cut oak wall panelling with limed oak sliding pocket door sets with fabric interlayer glass panels for privacy and natural light to the bathrooms.
Somerville Shopfitting Ltd are in receipt of Selective Financial Assistance grant for SFA - Capital July 2018 from Invest NI. This project is part funded by European Regional Development fund under the Investment for Growth and Jobs Programme 2014-2020.
The funding enabled us to procure essential machinery to develop our manufacturing output, and continue delivering quality furniture to our clients.